The Masks we wear

Have you ever felt like your hiding from the world or that nobody understands what you are going through? It may be because you are wearing a mask. 


Putting on a mask is an instinctual behaviour. Think of the caveman, even though he was scared out of his mind he would stand tall, pout his chest and roar back at the lion. The problem is that we have gone from self-preservation to self-damage.

We have gone from having a Functional mask to an Avoidance mask 

The 6 main masks we wear 

Strength Mask

This person is always seen to be coping, has everything together and always has a plan. 
They are the strong ones when everyone else falls apart. 
"I can cope no matter what life throws at me" "I can do it myself, I don't need help"

Intellectual Mask

This person feels special, influential, valuable and better than others. they often don't listen, to advice and pretend to know everything. 
"The research I have read shows .... " "I know what my body needs and no Dr. can tell me otherwise"

Nice person

This person really wants to be liked. They are often called people pleasers and sacrifice their own happiness. They are scared that if they put themselfves first, others will not like them.
"I can never say no"

Positive mask

Everything is ALWAYS great, positive and perfect
"You can do it" 

Grumpy mask

This person often displays Macho behaviour, bullying, aggression. Can be protecting a fragile self-esteem
" I don't care" 

Alternative Mask

This person needs to be different, alternative / not normal. Thier identity is invested their mask. they seek and get Gets attention from being different. 
“I am a goth” " I am a Spoonie" 

Did you recognise any of these statements? Remember that it is only a danger if you are wearing this mask to hide or protect your authentic self.

What to do now?

Focus on awareness of self. Identify who you really are and what you stand for.  

“Our lives only improve when we are willing to take chances and the first and most difficult risk we can take is to be honest with ourselves.” ~Walter Anderson

Comments

  1. I would often say I was putting on my public mask when I would do public hearings in front of hostile audiences. That would be the strength mask followed by the crying / happy / relived mask when it was over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post and found it a fascinating read! I would say I vary highly between masks, but have definitely worn all of them.

    Gabija | everylittlethingblog.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Exercise for Myasthenia Gravis: a necessity not a luxury

All you need to know about shelf-life and storage of Mestinon

Therapeutic Journaling